[thelist] setting up freetds or odbc to connect to a ms sql server?

John Fitzpatrick jfitzpatrick at datalink.net.au
Mon Apr 29 03:20:00 CDT 2002

Not true.
Using PHP/Apache you can dynamically load a PHP extension at runtime.
To _d_ynamically _l_oad the ODBC extension you’d use a statement something
like the following:

dl("libodbc.so");

Where the argument to the function is the absolute path to the extension.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.dl.php

You should then have access to the suite of ODBC functions provided by the
extension
(the manual entries for these are not easy to find - they’re listed under
“Unified ODBC functions” and the entry in the manual’s contents page is not
in [alphabetical] order)...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.odbc.php

One other thing to note is that you’ll probably need administrator access to
the Windows/MSSQL server in order to set up a “DSN” connection to the target
database.