[thelist] Best/Good way to organize a website.

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Apr 29 18:05:00 CDT 2002

> > From: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker at swatgear.com>
> >
> > aardvark,
> >
> > (hey i work for a company named aardvark. imagine that!)
>
> really?  can i send you a letter from my lawyer detailing 240 years
> of trademark history?

hahaha... funny.

> here's the home page of my site, sans content:
> ==========
> <%
> strTitle = "page title here"
> strMetaDescription = "meta description here"
> strMetaKeywords = "meta keywords here"
> %>
>
> <% SUB Content %>

> Content
>
> <% END SUB %>
> <!--#include file ="includes/template.asp"-->
> ==========
>
> now, template.asp calls in the breadcrumb script, the navigation,
> and the footer... it also takes the value of strTitle and
> stuffs it into
> the <title></title>, the <h1></h1>, and the last link in the
> breadcrumb...
>
> the meta information, well, you can guess where i stuff that...
>
> and the content SUB simply gets called where i want it to appear...
>
> i could also have a SUB called 'sidebar' which i either never use, or
> call in the template and can just leave blank when i don't need it...
>
> does that help at all?

i was originally going to write back and say "i'm not stupid, but i
don't get it!"

but then i read it again and realised that your <% SUB Content %>
declaration wasn't a comment but rather an actual SUB! duh!

so essentially your template.asp page would be something like this...
(very simplified of course)

<head>
<title>title</title>
</head>

<% Content %>

<% Content %> being what calls all the content from your page.

that is a good idea. i think i will try to incorporate that into the
site, and/or a future site. (you're not going to sue me are you?)

chris.