[thelist] RE: thelist] Best/Good way to organize a website.

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Mon Apr 29 19:29:01 CDT 2002

I don't know if asp supports something similar like PHP's
auto_prepend_file or Application.cfm, but  that type of mechanism can be a
much cleaner approach.

In PHP you can use auto_prepend_file/auto_append_file directives to
include layout/navigation automagically on every page.  There is a
separate file for each page but ALL that page contains is content and no
variable-setting.

I built a large ColdFusion site this way (using Application.cfm) and then
we decided to move it to PHP.  All I had to do was modify the
header/footer files, a few pages that 'did something' and then run a
three-line sed script to rename all the files.

And content providers never have to touch or see any server-side code.
Every file on the site starts with:

<h1>Title of Page</h1>

For the purposes of breadcrumbs, section identity and browser titles, you
can use PATH_INFO and good architecture to your advantage.  See
http://lists.evolt.org/index.cfm/a/harvest/b/detail/c/_/d/4165 for more.

Thanks,
Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.