[thelist] Setting Window Attributes

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Tue Apr 30 11:37:01 CDT 2002

At 08:55 AM Tuesday 4/30/02, Jim wrote:

>I have a requirement to develop a training program using html.  One of the
>requirements is that the courseware run in a browser window with only the
>toolbar showing.  Question, how do I code my page so that when you access my
>webpage that it automatically opens with only the toolbar showing.  I've
>looked at window.open in Javascript, but that seems to be used only for
>opening a new window.  I need each page to open with only the toolbar
>showing.  Is this possible?

Last I looked at security specs, you do not have the right or the ability
to alter which attributes are displayed in the user's original browser.
Those settings are the prerogative of the user, not the website.  You can
specify the attributes only on a new window opened by javascript because
the user has explicitly chosen to do that and can undo their choice by
closing the new window. If you were allowed to configure the original
browser, there would be no way for the user to undo your choices and they
would have to close their browser and reopen to continue on to another
website with the browser of their choice.

FWIW, you probably want the statusbar also showing so the user can see that
a click in your courseware is retrieving something from the server.

keith

cache at dowebscentral.com