[thelist] Flash and a database

bread_man bread_man at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:50:09 CDT 2002

Hey Susan

I have used flash and ASP for many applications, and there was one in particular that could talk to a database. It's awesome stuff.  I'll try to explain the mechanics without much detail as far as I have learned!

If you're wanting to retreive information from the database and display it in a flash movie:
1) The flash movie calls an ASP page.
2) The ASP page uses SQL and VBScript to get records from the DB and store them in variables.  The code in the ASP pages creates a string that passes the variables to the flash movie.
3) The flash movie then does whatever it wants with the data.

If you're wanting to update a database using the flash movie:
1) The flash movie calls an ASP page.
2) The ASP page uses the same techniques as it would to reteive data from a form as it does to get the variables from the flash movie.  Then using SQL and VBScript, it updates the DB with the imported variables.

You can see this in action in my flash survey.  When you take the survey, it updates the DB.  When you view the results it retrieves information from the DB and displays dynamic content!

http://thebadlans.net:5150/survey/survey.html (Used to be in a pop-up window)

Fun stuff!

adam

bread_man

"Ein halber Laib ist besser als gar kein Brot."