[thelist] Flash and a database

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed May 1 10:37:01 CDT 2002

>If I have to create a datasource, then build at least a partial script page
>for Flash to connect to, the only advantage I see to this is that I can use
>Flash to display dynamic content. It's not that I don't see the use, it
>just seems a bit redundant.

If there's no reason to use Flash, as in you can do the same thing
using HTML alone, it would be (to borrow a phrase), "redundant many
times". And yes, it's more work to do Flash, but it's a solution for
many problems. Like, last week the following was discussed here:
http://www.simmerhawaii.com/flash/index.php

>  Will the latest version of Flash offer
>something new (like a direct connection to the DB?)

The Flash Player 6 can do quite a bit of new stuff ... but by it's
nature as a browser plugin, there has to be a web browser and web
server in between it and the DB (you can cut out the web browser part
by exporting it as a stand-alone player).

>  or is that what the XML
>is better for?

That Flash can parse and format XML data is one of the many reasons
someone might want to use Flash, ... but directly connecting a DB is
not one of them.

Generator can connect to an ODBC data source and produce a SWF that
can ion turn be displayed with the Flash Player, but in most
situations there's a better way to achieve the same thing.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/