[thelist] Needs some advice on creating a members only area and...

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Fri May 3 08:08:01 CDT 2002

Hi,
I'd suggest using .htaccess if they are on a unix host.
That offers lots of flexibility... you can start of with a global paswword,
set up in 10 minutes, and then you can write a simple admin page (I did it
in Perl) to add passwords for each member.
When you have many passwords they can be stored in an .htpasswd file, which
can be saved separately.

This way you can rely on Apache's security options, like encrypted
passwords, and un-accessible files.

A quick Google turned up this instruction, might help:
http://www.global2000hosting.net/web_assistance.htm

Cheers,
Richard.