[thelist] some questions on css: misuse and issues?

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Sun May 5 21:10:01 CDT 2002

[ snippity snip ]
The first issue is the right hand menu. If I sqidge the screen the right
>menu flows UNDER the text and my navigation is gone down the swanny. BUT if
>i was to fix the 'top' of the right menu to an absolute pixel pos. then it
>would flow OVER the text. It seems to me that neither situation is
>particularly desirable (though thoughts on which is the better of two evils
>are appreciated) is there an alternative? I have looked at the usual sites
>like www.bluerobot.com, www.thenoodleincident.com etc but they all have
>similar issues.
>
>The second issue is the article titles. I have placed {border: groove thin;}
>and added padding around it (see below) but again I try sqidging the page
>and what happens......the title boxing overlaps. Is there any way around
>this?

[ /snip ]

Here are a few ideas that you might want to try out. For your article
titles, you could specify
a minium width (min-width: minwidthpx;). This *should* not let it shrink so
that it overlaps. As far as your menu floating down goes (I had the same
problem), if you specify the width in percents, it will just shrink to fit
the page (which is what I am assuming what you want).

Here is where I learned this "floating box" trick : http://www.glish.com/css
(specifically, the page that you want is http://www.glish.com/css/9.asp).
Try changing the size of your browser window (sqidge) and see the effect on
the content. It has the same layout (menu on right), like your site.

By the way, the site looks nice...I had seen it before somewhere (or what
it the same site?).