[thelist] some questions on css: misuse and issues?

David Dorward david at david.us-lot.org
Mon May 6 10:49:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 10:07:57AM -0300, Christopher Joseph wrote:
> [snip]
> When validating the CSS I found your real problem. Unlike Internet
> Explorer, Mozilla does a good job at following standards. Your server
> is configured to send the .css files with a content/mime type of
> "text/plain". As far as Mozilla is concerned that isn't a style
> sheet. You need to reconfigure the server to send with a mime type of
> text/css
> [/snip]
>
> Is this a case of approaching the my ISP for resolution?

Maybe, maybe not.

If you are allowed to override settings on the server then the
apropriate line for .htaccess is (I think):

AddType		text/css	.css

If that doesn't work I think you have to contact the sysAd and get
them to fix their mime.types file. Its probably a good idea to do so
anyway so that the results aren't broken.

If they won't help you and you can use server side scripting point the
<link> at a CGI script (or PHP, ASP, etc) that puts the correct
content type out.

#!/usr/bin/perl

print("Content-type:text/css\n\n");
print <<END_OF_CSS;

body {
 foo: bar;
}

h1 {
  foo: bar;
}

END_OF_CSS

This isn't a very good solution as it ties up CPU on the server.

NB: Some of the above is Apache specific, I have no idea (and no
inclination to find out) what the IIS version is.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.