[thelist] [OT] Win2k laptop

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Mon May 6 14:17:01 CDT 2002

> > Unfortunately not. I don't know about Pro, but I'm installing Server and
> > this will not install over the top.

If you have access to a Server box, you might try this:
1. Create a bootable floppy (rescue disk) from the Server box.
format a: /q /u /s (or something like that)
2. Copy the sys and format command(s) onto the floppy.
3. Start your laptop with the floppy (so it loads Server)
4. Type :
A:\>format c: [enter]
*wait for it to format*
A:\>sys a: c: [enter]
This will transfer the system files to the C:\ drive.

You should now be able to boot from your CD, and install on your C drive
(since it is the same format as Server).

hth,
Burhan Khalid