voice-family WAS > RE: [thelist] links not working in IE6

noah noah at tookish.net
Mon May 6 14:29:00 CDT 2002

At 02:56 PM 06/05/2002, Burhan Khalid wrote:
>>before:
>>   voice-family: "\"}\"";
>>now:
>>   voice-family: \"}\";
>
>I have seen this "trick" used before, but it doesn't validate from the w3.
>Isn't voice-family have to do with aural(?) representations? I mean, for
>ua(s) that have voice capability. If so, the CSS validator says that it is
>not a valid voice-family. Does anyone know a way around this? Why is this
>needed in IE?

voice-family: "\"}\""; <-the first one

is correct according to the proverbial horses mouth (
http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html ), and it does validate.

The "voice-family" bit of this is not actually the important part, but the
stuff afterward, which IE for windows (pre-6 I think, though I'm not sure)
chokes on. Thus means that IE does not see any declarations that follow,
whereas other browsers do. This can be used to work around IE's incorrect
interpretation of the box model.

There's a much better explanation here:

http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html

Cheers,