[thelist] Javascript: cancel selection in Opera 5 & 6

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue May 7 04:28:01 CDT 2002

>I'm working on updating my old dynamic scroll, and I've run into two
>problems with opera 5 and 6.

>How do I cancel the selection in opera 5 & 6? I've tried just about
>everything, including but not limited to onselectstart,
>event.stopPropagation(), event.preventDefault() and simply returning false
>on mousedown and mousemove. Pretty much all the techniques used with ie,
>netscape and mozilla to accomplish this, and none of them seem to do the
>trick.

return false should work, the other two won't work. For more info I need to
see the actual script.

>In opera 6, I seem to be unable to capture the onmouseup-event of a layer
>if
>the event occurs outside the layer (mousedown occured inside the layer and
>was captured as it should).
>this could be fixed by cathing the event on document.onmouseup, but that
>doesn't fire either; probably because the event "should" be captured by the
>layers own event handler... (This one smells like a bug.)

Opera doesn't (yet) know event capturing or bubbling. So if you define an
event on a layer the event handler will *only* fire when the event takes
place on the layer. Not so much a bug as an unimplemented feature.

ppk