[thelist] php speicial character conversion and carriage returns

Michele Wandrei michele at inthree.com
Tue May 7 14:10:18 CDT 2002

Hi Kristina,

>   $description = nl2br("$description");
>
>   What can I do so that it doesn't repeat the carriage returns
on a
>   re-edit, bearing in mind that if new carriage returns are
added they
>   will need to upload as such.

Here's what works for me with those multiplying <br> tags.  When
I call the text to be displayed from the database, I stick this
line in before the text is displayed for editing:

    /* strip all standard and XHTML-compliant <br> tags */
    $description =
eregi_replace('<br[[:space:]]*/?[[:space:]]*>', "",
$description);

That strips all the <br> tags from the text.  Then I use nl2br()
again before inserting the edited text back into the database.

I wish I could give credit where credit is due!  I don't remember
where I stumbled on this little bit of code, but it has served me
very well.

Hope this helps!
Michele

Michele Wandrei