[thelist] XML based site search

Nik Schramm n at industriality.com
Wed May 8 06:17:01 CDT 2002

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a good while and now I have a question for you
all:

I'm building a text-heavy site using ASP.NET (C#) and XML. All content
on the site is stored in xml files, HTML output is achieved via dynamic
XSL transformations. Now I want to add a "search this site" function and
although in theory this doesn't seem to difficult to achieve, I was
wondering if anyone here had experience in doing this and could pass on
some tips in order to optimize performance. The way I *think* I would do
it is:

1. On the search page provide options for keyword entry and a way to
limit the search to sections of the site.
2. Open the xml files for the target section sequentially and search for
occurences of said keyword.
3. If one is found, output the url to the file via a buffered response,
then continue on to the next XML file
4. etc.

Does that make sense, or is there a better way I'm overlooking ?

/nik

www.industriality.com - candy for the inner eye