[thelist] XML based site search

nets at searchtools.com nets at searchtools.com
Wed May 8 11:47:01 CDT 2002

I *highly* recommend that you use a real search engine to index and
search your text.  That will handle the whole thing in the most
efficient way possible. If you need to limit searches to XML fields,
that's a little trickier, but not much.

On Windows NT/2000, the search engines dtSearch, Phantom (from
Maxum), MondoSearch, and ASPSeek are relatively inexpensive and very
easy to use, and there's a nice free open-source search engine,
SWISH-E.  If you think your site will get significantly larger, these
search engines will eventually run out of capacity, so you should
look at the high-end search engines such as Inktomi and AltaVista,
and the new Google Search Appliance, which runs on its own server.

All of these are listed on my site, with links from the Windows
Search Engines page at

<http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-win.html>

Hope that helps,

Avi

--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
    <http://www.searchtools.com>