[thelist] OT: e-commerce without merchant accounts

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Wed May 8 13:01:01 CDT 2002

McCoy, Alan wrote:

> :: phpShop, www.phpShop.org, and  an expensive payment add-on
> :: module from
> :: Zephware,  Zephware.com, provides a good cart with PayPal integration
> :: (others also, but the Merchant account thing).
>
> phpShop is pretty nice, but setting up shipping can be kinda tricky. It
> has built-in support for the Intershipper online shipping calculator,
> but Intershipper's reliability has been somewhat unstable recently.
> There are ways around using Intershipper and most involve some deep
> script mods, so make sure you're up to speed on PHP.

The add-on modules from Zephware provide a zone shipping module without
Intershipper, UPS, Fed-Ex and USPS shippers included.

> RedHat's Interchange (formerly known as Akopia) is a pretty slick
> e-commerce app that is supposed to have PayPal integration in the works.
> Not sure about the progress on that, though.

We also have Interchange and while it is a very good package with many
features, it is not a package you can customize quickly.  To customize
usually requires serious coding in a large, complex application package.

We have Interchange for the high end cart needs, Agora for the low end
cart needs and use phpShop for everything in between.

Ron D.