[thelist] emails and special chars

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Fri May 10 06:46:01 CDT 2002

As an addenda to Martin's observations, I would point out that you may be
able to avoid "munging" of European special characters in email headers by
making sure they have iso-8859-1 encoding. I recently wrote an ASP script to
send an email newsletter in Swedish. We had a client who complained that the
same sort of "munging" (excellent word Martin) was happening. After a little
work we managed to find that Jmail 4.2 (the mail component we were using)
wasn't handling the following line correctly:

	msgTemplate.Charset = "iso-8859-1"

Upgrading to 4.3 did the trick. For safety's sake one can also use

	msgTemplate.ISOEncodeHeaders = true

to ensure that iso-8859-1 encoding is used for the headers (though the
defdault is true).

The upshot of this is that if you are writing email sending code and you
have content that may include European special characeters, then make sure
that your program is handling the ISO encoding correctly.

.steve

 Cookstour - http://cookstour.org

<SNIP>