[thelist] Advice on Getting That First Client

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri May 10 22:11:00 CDT 2002

> The biggest thing is to find your own sales pitch. Mine is different for
> different people but for the most part it's talking to them about what
they
> do and then say - Hey you probably need a website don't ya (obviously alot
> better).

This is where I always run into a problem.  Not every business needs a
website, even though they seem to think they do.  For example, consider a
two-person, non-affiliated hair salon.  What in the world gain could a
company like this have with a website?  Yet, my hair stylist asked me about
a website for her struggling little shop.

I asked her a few questions, and it quickly became apparent that she wanted
an online brochure.  To be honest, an online brochure was not going to make
her small company get more revenue each month, and I explained that to her.
I told her the money would be better spent on yellow page advertisement,
printed flyers, and anything else that can actually drive local traffic to
her shop.

I have strong feelings against acting like a used car salesman, I guess.  :)

-joshua