[OT] Mispronounced names WAS RE: [thelist] javascript syntax

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Sat May 11 18:34:00 CDT 2002

<quote who="Liorean">
>>loriean,
>
> You spell it wrong. Liorean it is. This is the second time now, so
> please don't make a habit of it.
</quote>

Ha ha ha! I am glad this problem affects other people. I thought I was the
only 'special' case.

FWIW, Samir is pronounced Sah-Meer. I guess my parents could have given me
the name as Sameer and made my life easier, but that is a whole other
story. It also means 'bard'.

In any case, people call me a variety of things if they don't know me.

Sa-mahr is one frequent version. This means darkness. It sucks.

Sa-Meyer is another. Sometimes I wonder about people.

Sam-Ri. gosh durn it all to heck!

Si-Mahr. I didn't know these people are dyslexic. Aaaargh.

Simeon. I swear, I have no clue how SAMIR makes SIMEON....

Shamir. Now, I am Palestinian. No big deal, except that Shamir is the name
of an Israeli Prime Minister.

And several other variations.

<tip type="connecting with clients and partners" author="Samir M. Nassar">

If you are going to be working with someone with a name you are not used
to, make an effort to learn how to spell their name. Do not pretend you can
master their name by looking at the letters. It is better to ask than to
get it wrong. It really raises our esteem of people we work with if they
bother to get our names right, just like we get their names right.

</tip>

--
Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - Open Source, Public Service