[thelist] Advice on Getting That First Client

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at brown.edu
Mon May 13 08:06:00 CDT 2002

At 23:26 -0400 5/10/02, Joshua Olson wrote:
>  > The biggest thing is to find your own sales pitch. Mine is different for
>>  different people but for the most part it's talking to them about what
>they
>>  do and then say - Hey you probably need a website don't ya (obviously alot
>>  better).
>
>This is where I always run into a problem.  Not every business needs a
>website, even though they seem to think they do.  For example, consider a
>two-person, non-affiliated hair salon.  What in the world gain could a
>company like this have with a website?  Yet, my hair stylist asked me about
>a website for her struggling little shop.
>
>I asked her a few questions, and it quickly became apparent that she wanted
>an online brochure.  To be honest, an online brochure was not going to make
>her small company get more revenue each month, and I explained that to her.
>I told her the money would be better spent on yellow page advertisement,
>printed flyers, and anything else that can actually drive local traffic to
>her shop.
>
>I have strong feelings against acting like a used car salesman, I guess.  :)

Not true.

My sister has a hair salon, and she wants a website because people do
web searches for salons that will do bridal parties and such.

We actually haven't managed to get together to start working on it
yet, but even a brochure/few page site could bring in business, if
the proper keywords are used.

Yes, yellow pages, flyers, word-of-mouth works, but more people look
to the web first, yellow pages second, these days (at least, IMHO).

--
Julia Frizzell
glyneth at sfad.org
http://www.sfad.org/julia