[thelist] JavaScript: the Back Button

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at realmetros.com
Mon May 13 15:11:01 CDT 2002

Ahhhh, normally I'd agree, but the purpose the invisible script (which I
haven't mentioned previously) makes this solution unworkable AFAICS.

The Invisible (page 2) script lives on a separate server (and domain)
from Page 3.  The purpose of Page 2 is to send a handshake to the Page 3
server.  If the server is up, it sends the user to Page 3.  If the
server is down, it sends the user somewhere else.  So I can't combine
pages 2 & 3 without defeating the purpose of page 2.

And now for a progress report.  I've put this in my ASP:

<pseudocode>
IF Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER") = Page3URL THEN
	Response.Write("<html><body
onload=history.go(-3);></body></html>")
	Response.End
ELSE
	Response.Write(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER") & "<br>"
& GetDatesURL)
END IF
</pseudocode>

And I'm finding that when Page2 used Response.Redirect() to send the
user to page 3, this worked perfectly.  But when I switched to <body
onload="form.submit();">, the HTTP_REFERER still contains Page1, and not
Page3 and the condition isn't met.  So I suspect some caching weirdness
which I will try to sort out next.