[thelist] Browser Caching WAS JavaScript: the Back Button

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at realmetros.com
Tue May 14 08:59:01 CDT 2002

How prophetic.  I am indeed experience some bizarre caching issues
trying to build what I want.

To re-cap:  I have Page1 with a link to Page2 which is an invisible
script that figures out where to send the user and then sends them to
Page3, which could be to somebody else's server.

Page2 currently sends the user to Page3 with a Response.Redirect, and it
works ok:  when the user clicks the BACK button on page3, they go all
the way back to Page1 without any special changes on my part.  That
seems weird, but I've accepted it.

However my goal is to pass variables through to page3 with the form
object (ala POST) rather than have them appear in the querystring.  My
solution thus far has been to replace the response.redirect with
response.write-ing a self-posting form.  However, when I do this, the
back button gets screwy:  clicking BACK on page3 sends the user back to
page2, BUT the HTTP_REFERER is Page1.  NOT Page3!  I have put all the
no-cache stuff I can find into Page2, both server- and client-side, but
evidently that doesn't change the fact that when you go back in the
browser's history, the HTTP_REFERER is remembered from the previous
visit.

So any ideas how I can get the Back button on Page3 to go back to Page1?
Two restrictions:  I can only work with the script on Page2, and I'd
like to avoid using the Session object (or Cookies) if at all possible.

TIA,
Tab