[thelist] XML data storage

Simon Dell simondl at epic.co.uk
Wed May 15 06:48:01 CDT 2002

At 11:35 15/05/02 +0100, you wrote:

>If this is a sensible way to go, which is the best way to search an XML
>document for a particular username? I'm using ASP.NET...

If you're using ASP.NET, I assume you're also using the MSXML parser. The
docs for the older version of the parser i have talk about using SAX2,
their serial parser, in some circumstances. SAX2 used to and probably still
comes with MSXML. I mention this because if you have a lot os users, you'll
end up with one HUGE file, which will suck up a very large amount of your
server's memory when using the usual IXML DOM that MSXML provides. It might
be better to use the SAX2 system when searching and adding new files as it
only loads fragments of the file at a time.

I've not used it so i don't know how easy this is to implement. You'd
probably want to set up systems for file locking, something like a database
transaction..

HTH
Simon