[thelist] [ot] going rate for web developers

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Thu May 16 07:36:01 CDT 2002

This forum is not one for discussion of prices.

But I would like to pose a few ideas.  Note that any questions relating
the actual figures are retorical and as such I do not expect for such
details to be posted here.

Do have current employment?  If so, what rate are you currently earning?
 Web development is not much different to mowing lawns.  You can perform
a quick test by working out what it costs you to run the business and
what spending cash you require to get you through life.  Add the two and
divide by the number of hours you are willing to work per week.

This may seem crude but it is easiest way of working out an hourly rate.

As for an hourly rate vs flat rate, it all depends on what your view is.
 Personally, I see viry little point in being penalised if I complete a
task ahead of schedual.  To this end, I aim to work some sort of bonus
aspect in.  Should I complete a task ahead of time, it is possible to
work in some sort of bonus charge.  If this bonus works out to cost less
than the remaining hours, it is a win-win situation for those involved.
<tip author="Michael Pemberton" type="Security & passowords">
ALWAYS keep track of passwords that you use.  And NEVER allow someone
else to setup a device that requires such a password.

This may seem like an obvious tip, but it amazes me how many people I
come across who fall into the routine of getting a browser / application
to remember as password for them. This may seem like a time saver, but
when the time comes that your setting get lost, you'll need to know the
password to get back into the system.
</tip>

--
Michael Pemberton