[thelist] SQL UNION choking on ORDER BY clause

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu May 16 08:49:01 CDT 2002

> > And, yes, I'm positive there must be a cleaner way to do this.
>
> you're likely right
>
> > I'm wide open for suggestions on general efficiency here.
>
> fly me down for a day or two of consulting?
>
>  ;o)

You have my work address, right? I've got a project in the works *right now*
that might need a db guy of, well, maybe not your stature, but more than
mine. Send me whatever you've got for a price schedule and let me see what I
can do.

> here's your procedure, judiciously edited --
>

>      CREATE PROCEDURE GetPendingBySupervisorEmpID2
>          ( @SupervisorEmpID int )
>      AS
>
>      IF @SupervisorEmpID = 45
>      BEGIN
>        ( SELECT stuff )
>      UNION
>        ( SELECT stuff )
>      ORDER BY r.po_ID DESC
>      END
>
>      ELSE IF @SupervisorEmpID = 36
>      BEGIN
>      ( SELECT stuff

Woop woop woop woop error error missing paren *right here*

Isn't that a much better error message?

>      UNION
>      ( SELECT stuff )
>      ORDER BY r.po_ID DESC
>      END
>
>      ELSE
>      BEGIN
>        SELECT stuff
>      ORDER BY r.po_ID DESC
>      END
>

> do you see where there's a missing parenthesis?

Nice trick. I'll remember that.

Tenks. Again.

joel