[thelist] Configuring a IIS behind a router

David Bindel dbindel at austin.rr.com
Sat May 18 10:00:00 CDT 2002

Hi all,

My name is David Bindel and I am a 15 year old web developer (working with
XML, CSS, ASP, and learning PHP and Perl).  I am running Windows 2000 Server
and I'm trying to set IIS up so I can test websites I make from other
locations.

Let me explain my situation:

* We have Road Runner Cable Internet
* My younger brother lives in the same room with his computer also
* Because of that, we have to use a router to split the cable connection to
use it on both of our computers
* The router assigns us "fake" (example: 192.168.1.xxx) IP addresses to
separate the computers i guess

Now, our Internet access works perfectly fine, but when it comes to setting
up IIS as a server, I'm not really sure what to do.  My problem (I think) is
that the router is assigning me its "fake" generic IP address and because of
that, people outside of the network my brother and I have set up will not be
able to get to the server... it stops at the router I guess.

Here are the symptoms:

* I CAN access the website by typing in the fake IP address the router
assigns me
* I CAN access the website by going to http://localhost/
* I CAN'T access the website by going to my real Road Runner IP address

Has anyone run into this problem before, and do you know how I can correct
this so I can serve websites?

Thanks in advance,
David Bindel (dbindel at austin.rr.com)