[thelist] Configuring a IIS behind a router

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Sat May 18 10:39:01 CDT 2002

Hi David

Your problem is being caused by your router.  The IP addresses the router is
assigning you are in what is called a private range of IP addresses.  These
are IP addresses which are only ever used on private networks.  When a
packet of information comes into your router it looks to see which private
IP address to forward it on to.  This process is known as Network Address
Translation.  The problem you've got is that when a request comes into your
router IP address it's stopping dead there.  What you need to do is tell
your router to forward all web server requests to your Win2k server.

The type of service that is being requested is identified by the port number
that it's requesting.  So say your router external IP address is
62.30.28.297, when a request for a webpage comes into it it's actually going
to 62.30.28.297:80.  So what you need to do is tell the router to forward
all requests on port80 to 192.168.1.1:80, this process is known as port
forwarding.  If you look in your router manual you should be able to find
out whether it can handle it or not.

Something to be very very aware of, IIS servers are very insecure out of the
box.  If you're going to make your publically available you should be aware
of the risks involved, and the tools that are available to help you minimise
them (check the Microsoft site for their lockdown tool and security updates)

HTH

Norman