[thelist] ASP Questions

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun May 19 12:51:00 CDT 2002

On May 19, Michele Foster had something to say about [thelist] ASP Questions

>Hi Folks ..
>
>I've a couple questions .. maybe someone will know what the following means
>.. and what the importance is of them.
>
>response.buffer="TRUE"

in IIS4, this property is det to false by default. if it's set to true,
you can control when the output buffer is sent to the client.

so, if you've got a proccess-intensive bit of code, you can make it seem
like it isn't taking as long to the client if you send some stuff before
it:

Welcome to my process intensive page. Blah...
<%
Response.Flush

'heavy coding here
%>

>response.cachecontrol="PRIVATE"

hell if i know.

>response.expires="300"

i think this sets the expire date to 300 seconds from now.

>response.expiresabsolute=DATE+1

yet this seems to set the date to the next day

>Second question ....
>
>query_commenttext=request.form("commenttextarea")
>query_name=request.form("name")
>query_email=request.form("email")
>**query_blurbid=session("commentblurbid")
>query_IP=request.servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
>
>Most of the above I understand .. just calling in the variables from a form
>process.  However, I don't understand the one I've starred (**).  What's
>with the session?  I'm having problems with my comments being posted under
>the incorrect items .. and I'm guessing this is what might be feeding the
>incorrect information.  Why use "session" when the items are being passed in
>the querystring?
>
>i.e. yadda.asp?commentblurbid=298
>
>Or just pass it hidden and request.form to get the variable in question?
>I'm not at all sure why to use "session" and what might else break should I
>change it to querystring or hidden.

if session is available, it's less of a pain to use than appending the
comment id of adding a field to every link or form (respectively) that
needs it.

but, if theyre already being passed with the querystring, then, im not
sure why they're using the session as well. are they USING the querystring
var anywhere in teh code?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com