[thelist] General purpose MySQL DBM

Gustavo Arizpe garizpe at network.com.mx
Mon May 20 07:08:01 CDT 2002

> I don't this to be taken the wrong way, but if you want an Access style
interface, use Access.

Well, I haven't used Access, and probably never will, but the point of using
mainstream commercial software is just what I'm trying to avoid.

I've been using FileMaker 3 for years in my Wintel PCs. I don't want to
spend on new FileMaker licenses now I'm switching from PC to Mac so I
figured out that I'd rather develop something that would fit my needs.

But then I thought there should be something ready to use in FreshMeat,
HotScripts to let me take advantage of OSX, PHP and MySQL. for my small
Intranet.

So, instead of running a client DBM interface such as FileMaker or access,
I'm planning to use a web browser and PHP/MySQL on one of my OS X boxes.

> It is a very large task to build something that will work on all of the
platforms
> that MySQL offers and still maintain some consistancy.

I believe PHP will come to the rescue, and for the mean time some of the
projects you suggested will do the job for us. Hopefully we'll see some more
ellaborated stuff in the near future.

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpdbform/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmybuilder/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pfb/