[thelist] Undo in Photoshop

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue May 21 13:55:01 CDT 2002

At 10:00 AM 5/21/2, Matt wrote:
>I'm not saying there shouldn't be a History function, but the fact that in
>other Adobe products, and most products in general, you can just click
>command-Z several times to jump back, whereas in photoshop you have to go to
>the History palette to do this, is very annoying IMHO.

It's a little harder for a pixel-editing programs, because many actions are
actually one-way operations upon large collections of data.

For example, how would you un-do a blur? If you perform the corresponding
sharpen you're actually doing two discrete operations, and the resulting
data will almost certainly differ from the original data.

A pixel-processing program is different from a word-processing program or
vector-drawing program. That's why the History Panel there saves your
preferred number of previous states on disk, and reverts to a stored state
when desired.

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Ghostwritten column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/