[thelist] Default font size?

Mike Combs mike at combsnet.com
Tue May 21 15:04:01 CDT 2002

I've built a style sheet that doesn't assign a specific size to the main
content text.  I figured using the browser's default size would be
best.  All of the other text sizes are calculated to be relative to that
default.  (Headings are 150%, small print is 70%, etc.)

The thing is, the content text just looks too big, especially when compared
to major portals like Yahoo, Netscape, MSN, Lycos, etc.

I realize that visitors can just resize the text when they visit my site,
but expecting them to change the browser when they enter and exit my site
seems a bit much.

Is the whole world (wide web) based on a 90% font size?  Is the browser
base text size reserved for headings?

I just wanted to see where people think the newer web site designs are
going on this.

Mike Combs
"Wiring the Batcave"
mike at combsnet.com