[thelist] Default font size?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue May 21 20:21:01 CDT 2002

> I've built a style sheet that doesn't assign
> a specific size to the main content text.

hi mike

nobody else responded to this, so i will

BRAVO!!

not enough people have embraced that strategy

> I figured using the browser's default size would be best.
> All of the other text sizes are calculated to be relative to that
> default.  (Headings are 150%, small print is 70%, etc.)

commendable -- and accessible

> The thing is, the content text just looks too big

uh oh, the dark side is calling you

> especially when compared to major portals like Yahoo,
> Netscape, MSN, Lycos, etc.

tell me, is your site cluttered like theirs too?

or as your mom might have said, "if all your friends jump off a cliff..."

> I realize that visitors can just resize the text when they
> visit my site, but expecting them to change the browser
> when they enter and exit my site seems a bit much.

here's a quick analysis

many sites set a fixed size for their main copy text, and many don't

for the accessibility-minded, there are too many that do, which is sad, but
at least there are plenty that don't

(why is it that those who do set a fixed size, set the size so small?
greed, that's why -- some marketing honcho deciding to cram more and more
and ever more above the fold... but that's a different rant)

anyhow, your site visitors will surely have experienced both types

now for the analysis

some people don't care what size the text is on a web site (just that it's
readable)

if they don't care, you're fine

of those who do care, they can be divided into those who know how to change
their settings and those who don't

if they don't know how, then you expecting them to change their settings
doesn't enter the picture, but at least they will not single you out for
being the oddball

besides, they usually don't really need to change anything, because your
site is the same (default) size as all the other sites out there that don't
set a fixed font size, of which there are plenty, so again, you're fine

what about those who care about font size and also know how to change their
browser setting?

to them, you're golden

;o)

> I just wanted to see where people think the newer
> web site designs are going on this.

it depends on the purpose of the site, and whether the design gives a fig
about accessibility....

but there's also another, more disturbing trend

newer browsers will all have a zoom feature, one that will even override
fixed font sizes

the i-want-my-site-to-look-good-to-ME fixed font size crowd will jump on
this as giving them licence to continue setting small fixed font sizes

i can't really fault that argument, either

but as long as there are still non-zooming browsers out there, i'd say your
strategy is a good one

rudy
http://rudy.ca/