[thelist] Netscape Nav & FormMail problem...

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Wed May 22 06:53:01 CDT 2002

Hi, all --

I've been working on a "new" Web site (one I had up originally 6 years ago, with changes & additions). About a month ago, while
developing on my PC (with an early MSIE on it) & uploading using SmartFTP on a connected machine (with a more recent MSIE
on it), I had about 4 forms working with FormMail.pl, which I had already uploaded to version 1.9...

Then I dropped that, since that part of the site was working, and worked on a bunch of SSI's -- none of them touching the HTML
with embedded FORM elements. Now, I am cat- and house-sitting (for a retired pediatrician, relatively well off) who inexplicably
is using a somewhat old Netscape Communicator browser (version 4.7? something like that, I think). I have to use the CPANEL
in the (Apache) Web host's package to upload forms, although everything seems to work okay... I can chmod and so on, at least.

But my forms don't work. I fixed the problem part way by specifying both www. and plain accesswriters.com as my domain
in @referer, plus specifying completely every e-mail address that should receive output of the form -- as in
('^techwatcher at accesswriters.com','^etc....'). Now, instead of error messages about @referers or @recipients, I just get a
message saying something is messed up in my configuration, ask webmaster at accesswriters.com [sic].

Does anyone know what sort of thing might solve this problem? Is it Navigator? (I know it has trouble between www. and non-www.
versions; sometimes it won't load my page as home page because I didn't put www in. But then, other times it does.) The ISP
here is AT&T World Service, if that has any relevance. Even if it's a Nav. problem, I'd like to solve it, since some of the writers (my
target audience) no doubt also use this browser....

Cheers --
C. Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com

Question: Has an