[thelist] SQL Joins - ANSI 92 syntax

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed May 22 09:14:04 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] SQL Joins - ANSI 92 syntax

> in oracle, for example, you could say
>
>     where table1.two_id (+) = table2.two_id

Hey all (rudy, steve, et al),

Thanks for the great thread.  This thread brought to my attention something
that had been aggravating me in MS SQL for a while now.  And that is the use
of a subselect within the FROM clause.  I was never able to get the derned
thing to work correctly.  As it turns out, it was because I was not aliasing
the subselect with a table name.  Once I did that, problem solved!  Anyway,
here's the reference I used:

<tip type="MS SQL 'FROM CLAUSE' Reference" author="Joshua Olson">
The following link will shed a lot of light on how to set up join syntax
using SQL-92 syntax and provide your own table hints to the MS SQL 2k
engine:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_
fa-fz_4ox9.asp
</tip>

<tip type="MS SQL T-SQL Online Reference" author="Joshua Olson">
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_
tsqlcon_6lyk.asp
</tip>