[thelist] RE: [ - Examples of Importing XML into Netscape or Mozilla? - ]

Peter Thoenen eol1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 18:55:01 CDT 2002

We are not here to discuss bugs (try in 100% css1
complaint IE 6 using a xhtml1.1 doctype <input
type="checkbox" style="border: 1px solid #000000"
name="" value=""/> and tell me what you get..100% css1
complaint huh) ... we are talking about how Mozilla
hampers web development (with applications).

I can't think of a single web application in my life I
have developed or even seen that I needed THE CLIENT
(or end user) to print the source to a form submitted
to itself.  But maybe thats just me (wouldn't be the
first time I have been wrong), maybe you have some odd
clients that like the ability to do this, I would like
to meet these clients though, hell maybe I can quit
using dynamic pdf generation to print invoices and
just tell them to print the source for their financial
records.

As for printing the visual page on the screen, I don't
exactly see how this hampers me or you either.  Sure
we all would like to keep the bandwidth bill low but
is it really a show stopper, nope.  Its an annoyance
and one that is fixed as you kindly stated.  Now when
you get done complaining about specific Mozilla bugs
that don't effect web development (as in
applications)..maybe you can point me to some code
that Mozilla can't do but is required for your web
applications to run (or hell..even code that makes you
life as a developer more difficult).

Cheers,

-Peter

--- Michael KImsal <michael at tapinternet.com> wrote:
> Peter Thoenen wrote:
>
> >Maybe I am missing something here but what does any
> >web browser have to do web applications or the way
> >they are designed (other than the visual client
> >frontend).  I routinely develop web applications
> that
> >work in any browser the client wants to use whether
> >its Lynx, IE, Moz, or some wierd custom perl
> browser
> >for Amiga (if such exists :).  As long as the
> browser
> >supports HTTP1.0 my applications will work.  I just
> >don't see where you are coming from stating Mozilla
> >hurts web developers..since I don't see how in any
> >they the interop.
> >
> >Note: I do not consider Web Designers to be web
> >devolpers.  Web developers build web applications,
> web
> >designsers build sites.
> >
> >>From a web designer point... Mozilla is way more
> >friendly to web designers.  IE needs to get its IE
> /
> >Windows tags  out of its *ss.
> >
>  From a web designer point of view, each only render
> whatever tags you
> put in them.
> Dunno what these 'IE' tags you're talking about are,
> as I generally just
> use HTML.
>
> Here's a test for you.
>
> Develop a form which POSTs  some data back to the
> same URL.
> Have that script output some information to the
> browser.
> Using Mozilla as your browser, do a 'VIEW SOURCE'.
>
> The "view source" will do a 'get' again on the URL,
> resulting
> in the source you're looking at being different from
> what the browser
> rendered.
>
> Printing is the same, and it's even worse with
> printing because I can't
> print gzipped data (I like to compress stuff to keep
> the bandwidth bill
> low).
> Actually, I retract that - the latest mozillas I
> believe do print
> gzipped data
> properly.
>
> It's a 'known' issue for about 4 years now, with,
> sad to say, no fix in
> site.
>

> --

=====
Never underestimate the extent of human stupidity.
De Opresso Liber