[thelist] Database vs. Flat file vs. XML

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Thu May 23 14:27:01 CDT 2002

Hello Listees :

    All this talk about databasing has me thinking, what the advantages of databases over say an XML file or a flat file for simple projects. I had a collection of quotes in a database, which I moved to a flat file (since it was, imo, overkill). When does data require the use of a database? Does it have to do more with the content, or the application?  In your experience(s), have you ever had to move stuff away from database to a simpler system(s)? I know lots of people go the other route, but when would it be better to "downgrade"? Short of moving to a host that doesn't have your favorite database, or for backup, are there any other reasons to go to flat-filing?

Your opinions are always great,
Burhan