[thelist] IIS "HTTP 401.3 - Access denied by ACL on resource" Error

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri May 24 00:16:01 CDT 2002

At 08:47 PM 5/23/2002, .jeff wrote:

><tip type="IIS" author=".jeff">
>
>moving folders and files in and out of your webroot?  running in to problems
>where attempting to access these folders and/or files and you getting a
>username/password dialog?
>
>that's because these folders and files don't have the "everyone" group
>assigned security rights to them.  so, add the "everyone" group.

Jeff...

I strongly disagree that you need everyone access to perform routine IIS
serving of files. My recommended setup it to remove the Everyone Group
Access rights and setup Administrator with Full Access and setup the IIS
User Account with Read only Access.

For IIS to serve static and dynamic pages, the IIS User Account only needs
Read access to the directories and files.
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys