[thelist] markup - which element?

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Sat May 25 05:08:01 CDT 2002

What HTMl element is the one most correctly used to mark-up the names of
books, movies, games, etc? I have seen cite suggested for this before, but
my local copy of the html spec seems to suggest it's use in relation with
quoting a source.

>From spec:

'Contains a citation or a reference to other sources.'

with an example of

"As <CITE>Harry S. Truman</CITE> said,
<Q lang="en-us">The buck stops here.</Q>"

So is it still the best element to use to mark-up a reference to whatever
you're talking about?

<tip author="Lachlan" type="CSS">
Never, ever, ever use CSS, or anything to make links in your documents
appear identical to normal text. I saw this just yesterday when visiting the
contact part of the site, and if I hadn't viewed source, I wouldn't have
figured out that the word email was a link. Most people will not know to
for what doesn't appear prominently on the page.
</tip>

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org