[thelist] database query question

Jeremy Weiss jweiss at cei.net
Sat May 25 16:07:01 CDT 2002

Okay, as you all know (from the numerous questions I've been asking) I'm
trying to learn how to access a database from a web page.  After reading and
re-reading several tutorials and buying a rather large book by Sybex, I've
finally learned to open a connection to my database and have ran a simple
query on it (WooHoo!).

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem writing the query that I'm needing.
What I need is to search a field (zipcode) in a table (main_tbl) and see if
the user inputted a valid zipcode.  If so, I need information pulled from
several fields in that record (url & email for starters).

Here's what I've got so far for this query.

SQL = "SELECT zipcode, email, url FROM Main_tbl WHERE zipcode= zipcode"

It looks okay to me, but I get the following error message.

--
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e10'

No value given for one or more required parameters.
--

Now if I take out the email, url  and leave just the zipcode it works... but
I'm not sure why.

Anybody have any spare time and feel like helping me grasp all this? ;)

TIA,
Jeremy Weiss