[thelist] markup - which element?

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sat May 25 20:28:01 CDT 2002

At 06:12 PM 5/25/2002, you typed:
> > i tend to use <cite>, regardless...
>
>Yeah, I thought that using it would be better than not using anything - I
>just wondered if anyone knew of a more correct element, before I started
>using cite.
>
> > so if i reference a book, i might do it like this:
> >
> > you must now go buy <cite title="ISBN: 1904151035">Usability: The
> > Site Speaks for Itself</cite>, because if you don't, i might cry...
>
>What would you do for a game / movie, etc, then?

Steve Champeon discussed some good ideas recently at webdesign-l in a
thread about markup for lyrics. In that vein, then, you could consider
naming a class for each of these thinking forward to XML if you wish.....
something like:

<cite class="movie">Star Wars</cite>
<cite class="game">Zap 2000!</cite>
<cite class="book">CSS for Dummies</cite>

Maybe for now you'd want the elements to look the same, but it's a forward
thinking approach. Steve knows all the XML stuff that's over my head and
could explain this better. I just know the CSS stuff. <grin> You can check
the webdesign-l archives (I think you have to be a subscriber) at
<http://www.webdesign-l.com/>

Something to consider....

(BTW, I'll check my email here, too, and if I still have that thread I'll
let ya know.)

HTH!

Warmly,
Shirley