[thelist] Free CSS tip

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Mon May 27 01:03:01 CDT 2002

(after banging my head for a LONG time debugging, even though I've
encountered this problem a hundred times before, thought I'd record it for
posterity)

<tip type="CSS" author="Paul Cowan">
One of the first things to go in your new CSS file should be the declaration
    table {font-size: 1em}
to save yourself lots of grief later on. IE/Win seems to need to be given
this pointless declaration ('the font in a table should be... precisely the
size it should inherit anyway?') because IE/Win's default styles seem
specify an absolute size for <table>; without adding the above, if you apply
a size to (say) your <body> tag, any text in a table won't change, and <p>s
in tables will be realative to that table-specific size, etc. Nasty stuff.
</tip>