[thelist] embed & html validating

Nik Schramm n at industriality.com
Mon May 27 02:36:01 CDT 2002

>>Not true, I can run Flash using the Netscape Schockwave/Flash 5 Plugin
>>using the object tag.
>><object data="<url to flash file>" classid="" ></object>

Not over here, the minimum I have to use to persuade IE6 to play a swf
file is

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
	<param name="movie" value="test.swf" />
</object>

and that means I am leaving out the codebase attribute and thus
forsaking automatic player updates in IE as well as setting width/height
by css. However, none of the Netscape based browsers (NN4, 6, 7, Mozilla
1Rc3, Opera5, 6) on my computer play the file, which doesn't surprise
me, as I always thought (and currently still do) that they use the embed
tag. Could you please post an exact working example of what you are
proposing ? It certainly sounds intriguing...

Meanwhile, I've prepared a little demo file at
http://dev.nae.de/object-embed that reveals whether the swf is running
off the <object> or <embed> tag. Run your browser array by that (you'll
need the Flash 6 player from
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=S
hockwaveFlash if you don't already have it) and see what you come up
with.

/nik

www.industriality.com - candy for the inner eye