[thelist] Determining if an ASP is really an ASP file

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Mon May 27 11:40:01 CDT 2002

Hi Michael,

All of the sites I build use the ASP extension.  That's not to say they are
all database driven.  But they are built with include files .. at least 3 on
each page.  This allows me to maintain a consistent navigation on each page,
and if anything changes, i.e. a new section is added, I only have to update
the one include file .. instead of having to edit each of the HTML files.

I don't know how i survived before I discovered include files.  :)

Just one example, of course.  And looking at the site, they are probably
using include files to build the top and bottom navigation.

Aard wrote an article about em a while back.
http://evolt.org/article/Including_Files_in_ASP/17/1344/index.html

Now, to answer your specific question .. I don't know of any way to know if
content is dynamically being generated, i.e. coming from a DB or not.
Perhaps reading the source file for comments might be helpful.  Personally,
I write my comments within <% asp %> tags most of the time .. so, even my
own sites won't tell ya one way or another if they are db driven.  ;)

HTH,

Michele