[thelist] NS4 and CSS

Olly Hodgson gnarly at punkass.com
Wed May 29 13:57:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm finally taking the plunge and redoing my personal site using CSS layout.
I've been doing simple CSS text-styling on table layouts for ages, but no
real layout until now...

I'm starting really simply to begin with, so I can get my head around it all
easier. I have a <div id="masthead"> that contains two pictures and a bit of
text. Its style in the css file looks like this:

#masthead {
 background-image : url(../media/header/images/header2_02.gif);
 background-position : top;
 font-weight : bold;
 padding-left : 5%;
 padding-right : 5%;
 background-repeat : repeat-x;
 width : 100%;

/* For NS4 as it doesnt want to inherit */
 background-color : #000000;
 color : #FFFFFF;
 font-family : Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
 font-size : 11px;
 text-align : left;
}

Everything works fine in IE 6, Op 6 and Moz. However, I cannot get NS4 to
show the background-image. I seem to remember reading something about an NS4
bug with this, but I cant remember any more than that. Can anybody point me
in the right direction?

Cheers,

Olly.