[thelist] Color Chooser Review -- correction

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed May 29 14:39:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>
[...]
> does. One person likes the lines because they use them to surf,
> another doesn't because s/he doesn't use them and it distracts them.
> Who is right? NOBODY. It's preference. Last time I checked there was
> no instruction manual on "How to correctly surf the Internet, by so
> and so huff and stuff."

my take on it is that my preferences aren't any more or less valid
than another user's preferences...

as a developer, i try not to force my preferences on users... sure,
i've been guilty of it, but i've usually been able to fix it before it
annoys someone...

so, no, i'm not calling any lazy for what you did, if anything, it's
more work to *not* use the <label> tag and still achieve similar
results...

> I already pointed out the fact that I ended up using the <label> tag
> after all. But to even label the <label> (heh heh) tag "future-proof"
> is itself a joke. NOTHING is future-proof.

the post where you mentioned that came in after i sent my last one
out... as for future-proof, it's in the current HTML4.01 spec, and the
XHTML specs, so it's not going away yet...

it's certainly more future-proof than a <font> or a block of JS that
may not work if IE modifies their DOM again...

> Lastly, even though Martin brags about his ability to walk into an
> office and in 5-10 minutes have them licking his boots and begging him
> to let them write "accessible" code, it simply doesn't happen very
> often. As for companies "secretly" writing accessible code -- if its a
> secret how do you know about it? You don't, you're making it up to try
> and validate your opinion.

whoah, i musta missed the cool black-ops part of the thread with
ninjas running around writing accessible code...

ninjas are cool... and by cool, i mean, like, totally sweet...

> Show me one case where a closed, proprietary intranet system was
> successfully sued for non-comliance to one of the silly laws you keep
> quoting. You won't, because it doesn't exist. The next thing you know,
> you'll be trying to sue the Indianapolis speedway because they don't
> allow blind drivers to race in the Indy 500.

you're not going to find that for a couple reasons...

- a smart company hears an employee complaint and addresses
it...

- failing that, if the employee sues, it's gonna be settled... no smart
PR department would let that go to trial...

point is, many companies don't get sued if they have an
inaccessible workplace... an employee calls in one of the many
support/lobby groups, and they bring political and legal pressure to
bear... litigation would otherwise be prohibitively expensive for the
employee... i've seen that happen, although not specifically toward
an intranet...

all intranet issues i've personally seen were resolved when the
employees complained... after all, why wouldn't they be resolved
then, if not sooner?

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself