[thelist] Overlapping CSS <div> problem

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Thu May 30 03:32:01 CDT 2002

| On 2002/05/29, matt g said:

> Hi Andy,
>
> > While you're there, if you can see if the layout breaks in any browsers, or
> > doesn't work with CSS off or in text browsers that would be great.
> > <http://development.creed.co.uk/greenkeeper.gif>
>
> 1 - there is a large white space (about 100 pixels) at the top of the page
> before the anything else appears. it looks like the screen shot, just with
> everything (except the color blocks along the left side) pushed down by that
> much. This is on Mac 9.1, IE 5

Matt

Thanks for looking.

Strange one; I normally use Mac IE 5.1 as my main browser, and I don't see this,
so I went back to 5 and there it was; looks like between versions they fixed
something to do with positioned elements.

The solution here was to change the corner <div> (the colored blocks) to
float:left rather than position:absolute. Seems okay now.

> > Any CSS gurus on the list care to take a look at a page that's giving me
real
> > headaches?
>
> 2 - <not a guru> a superficial glance leads me to this guess: you might
> experiment with the 'clear' property on your footer, which might push it
> down the page as you had in mind. </not a guru>

That was my first thought, but it seems clear doesn't have any effect on
elements outside of the normal document flow, and the 'position' CSS on the
sidebar has that effect. Unless there is a clever way to get a fluid content
won't work in this instance.

> useful?

Yes.

Thanks.