[thelist] [HW] Re: <spacer>

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Fri May 31 10:28:01 CDT 2002

> OK, let me be brutal here, I couldnt give a shit about text
> browsers... No client has ever approached me asking for a site that
> looks sexy in Lynx!
You're missing the brutal point here. It's not *supposed* to look like anything
sexy in that sort of browser, rather that the information is there and
accessible with the simple keyboard commands that are commonly used by
alternate browsers.
Lynx and others pretty much list the text on the site in the order that you
have it in the code and it doesn't take a *whole* lot of forsight to make your
page's text read logically from top to bottom. The navigation at the top is still
at the top, and it's easy to tab through the links on the page while you read
page and reads logically top to bottom. I think there is a trick to getting
sidebar navigation reading right without creating a long page in the reader,
and maybe someone else can expound on that but I followed the BIG sites
and went top to bottom and everything else fell into place.

> Sure, I will use ALT properties (though never on spacers) and other
> accesibility tags which should make my site intelligible for those
> with images off or on text browsers but NEVER will I set out making a
> design for bloody Lynx...
Again, the point is to make your site intelligble and useful for those with
alternate broswers and the small amount of extra work makes for lots of good
karma eh. Congrats on the alt tags you are using, they can be used
creatively too if you think about it.
You may already(!) have a site that works pretty good for accessibility
purposes if you follow the design trends of larger sites. If anything else this
seemingly unstoppable thread along with the Accessiblity Question thread
has got some people thinking about those less fortunate and checking their
own sites and maybe even taking that bit of extra effort. It's virtually no effort
for those that follow the W3C specs anyways and it's easier than you think
once you start playing around with it.

My $.02

MG Web Services
Web Site Hosting and Development