[thelist] OO PHP (was PHP resource...)

Beau Hartshorne beau at members.evolt.org
Fri May 31 11:01:01 CDT 2002

> I can't speak to the author of those particular articles, but
sometimes
> the refrain of 'don't use OO in PHP' is from people who don't
understand
> it very well.

The author's name was Sterling Hughes. I did a quick ctl-f search
through http://www.php.net/credits.php, and his name appears several
times. It looks like he wrote a bunch of modules for php.

> Yes, most things are possible in PHP in multiple ways - OO is possibly
> not the fastest execution time, but what the author is missing out is
that
> things are always improving.  Better OO support is being developed for

I am not so much interested in execution time, but "best practices".

There are some things that, to me, work really well as objects. Form
elements, for instance, make great objects. I can create a bunch of text
fields, and update their functionality across an entire site by editing
one file.

So can anyone help me think of other things that work well as objects,
at least at this point in php's development cycle? What about things
that certainly do not work as objects?

Beau