[thelist] Hi Res Screen Grabs for Print

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 12:48:01 CDT 2002

> From: Jamie Bakum <jamie.bakum at circle.com>
>
> I need to create a series of screen grabs for print, but they need to
> fairly large, about letter size at 300dpi. My first efforts are good
> not great, and I'm assuming there are techniques I'm not aware of. If
> anyone can offer input or steer me toward a resource, I'd appreciate
> it -

i do this regularly for marketing documents and manuals...

i just screen cap the image as i want it, turn it into a TIFF, and stuff
it into my page layout package (CorelDraw, FreeHand, Illustrator,
PageMaker, Quark, InDesign, etc.)...

then i scale in the layout package -- *not* in photoshop...

i'd rather my pixels get drawn as pixels, not as blurry masses of
ink... if you resample in photoshop (you can adjust the pixel
density without resampling), it will turn those precise pixels into
anti-aliased pixels whether you scale up or down -- unless you do
nearest neighbor and increase by a factor 2...

in short, try it as-is, print a few, and see how it looks... don't worry
about how the text looks, after all, it's the web...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself