[thelist] Re: <spacer>

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 13:43:00 CDT 2002

> From: Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk>
[...]
> > don't the WAI guidelines *require* them for each image?
>
> Yes, to meet even Priority 1:
[...]
> alt attributes are also *required* for img tags under HTML4+ (they're
> optional but recommended for input type="image")

bad, martin, you trimmed my URL, which had the link to the
conformance sectionon the WAI (my question was rhetorical)...
and in a later post, i also addressed the HTML4.01 requirements...
i'll repost, because i can, and because i think these URLs should
be in the archives a whole buncha times:

read WAI conformance point 1.1 at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#conformance
"Provide a text equivalent for every non-text element (e.g., via 'alt',
'longdesc', or in element content). This includes: [...] images used
as list bullets, spacers, [...]."

read HTML 4.01 section 13.8 at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#adef-alt
"The alt attribute must be specified for the IMG and AREA
elements."

my teeth no longer itch.

--
Read the evolt.org case study